Work(s)-in-Progress aka Plot Bunny Central
Speculative Fiction Projects
HEIRS OF FIRE AND ICE (NaNoWriMo project!)
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king (or queen).”
-JRR Tolkien, LOTR
Told in dual POV, HEIRS OF FIRE AND ICE is the story of two young women, Zahra, a trader of items of questionable means, and Aaliyah, a princess without a crown. Set in a land where magic is strictly forbidden these two young women are forced together by unforeseen circumstances and must journey to uncover their mysteriously linked pasts and save their empire.
Vague, I know. I’m working on it. The world is based on this lost city (http://io9.com/the-great-lost-cities-of-africa-1507656099) and other medieval African civilizations, but it also includes elements of cyberpunk, mystery, and, of course, romance because genre-bending is what I do best. The story was inspired by my love for Avatar: The Last Airbender (TV series always) and Star Wars, but I believe it should appeal to fans of Malinda Lo’s Huntress and Amber Lough’s The Fire Wish, two other (amazing) dual POV (diverse) YA Fantasies.
- Genre: YA Fantasy with a Sci-Fi twist
- Status: Brainstorming (pre-November), Drafting (November!)
- Check out the inspirational/companion Pinterest board!
THE DEVIL YOU KNOW
“I never understood why mama liked God so much until the summer of 1968 when I met the Devil.” – Auggie
Set in the fictional town of Bon Croix, Mississippi, THE DEVIL YOU KNOW follows sixteen-year-old Augusta May “Auggie” as she delves into the town’s dark past through the discovery of her great-aunt and namesake’s diary in order to figure out who, or what, is behind the disappearance of girls in her town before she’s the next one to vanish, never to be seen again.
- Genre: YA Southern Gothic
- Status: On Hold – As with HAUNTED (below), love it but I need a break from witches for now. Also, something’s missing from this plot, so I’m letting my subconscious figure out what.
HAUNTED (Jordan Duchamp #1)
Revenge is a dish best served… DEAD.
To stop a revenge-bent ghost that they accidentally unleashed from the spirit realm Jordan and her best friend Sydney must team up with Harrison, a fellow student and descendant of a long line of ghost hunters, to unravel the mystery behind the ghost’s death and stop its killing spree before they’re next. Read the full blurb + an excerpt.
- Genre: YA Paranormal Mystery with a Horror twist
- Status: On Hold – Though I love this one, I just wrote a Paranormal Noir and so I want to 1) take a break from the genre & 2) challenge myself to write another in genre. That being said, I am working on a short story in this same world & with these characters for my one of my creative writing classes.
THE EGYPTIAN JOB
Criminals + Boston + Friendship + Romance + Betrayal (i.e. what any good story needs). Leverage meets Heist Society.
- Genre: YA Mystery/Thriller
- Status: Plotting/Drafting
- I started writing this because one of my favorite shows, Leverage, was finished and another one of my favorite shows, White Collar, is almost finished, so I figured why not write the kind of stories I love to read & watch with teen criminals. Fans of Ally Carter will definitely enjoy this as I’m a huge Ally Carter fan and this book has similar elements albeit a bit darker/older leaning than some of her books.
WHAT WOULD AUDREY DO?
After being caught on camera, shopping with a credit card she stole from one of her classmates, senior & aspiring actress, Caitlyn Clarke is forced to leave her Atlanta prep school behind and transfer to her local public high school. Based on words of wisdom from her idol, Audrey Hepburn, she auditions and lands a leading role in the school’s play, causing her regain hope in her Juilliard dreams and fall for Alice, the play’s leading lady. But, as the two grow closer and opening night approaches, Caitlyn must make a choice between who she’s becoming and who she once was. No matter the decision, one thing’s for sure… The show must go on. Read the full blurb + an excerpt.
- Genre: YA Contemporary Romance, for fans of Courtney Summers and Nina LaCour
- Status: Paused
POSSESSION (The Dauphine Files #1)
Bria, a sixteen-year-old clairvoyant-in-training, must solve a series of murders in New Orleans in order to save her best friend and uncover the truth about her mother’s death, think Veronica Mars meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Read the full blurb + an excerpt.
- Genre: YA Paranormal Noir with a Southern Gothic flair.
- Status: Complete at 72,000 words. Seeking representation.
- View the inspirational/companion Pinterest Board (it’s wicked good, y’all)!
- I have a partial synopsis for the sequel and the sequel to that one (these characters/this world won’t leave me alone…I love it!). And, I have a few
hintswords for you, book #2: Homecoming & Halloween, book #3: Mardi Gras Masquerade…oh, and murder & secrets, lots of them.
*I have other completed YA manuscripts, but I’m perfectly fine with them never seeing the light of day (yeah…they’re that bad, but they taught me a lot).