Hey Everyone!  I hope your Wednesday is off to a great start 🙂  Welcome to this week’s What’s Up Wednesday post.  I look forward to this post every week so writers don’t forget to put your post’s link in the linky so I can hop on over (it’s never to late to start!).

What I’m Reading

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1)I’m still reading Prep School Confidential by Kara Taylor (and loving it!), but, just to make peace with my constant craving for fantasy, I’ve started Laini Taylor’s Daughter of Smoke and Bone.  I’ve heard such great things about it and I have to say I’m glad I’ve finally taken the plunge.  The writing is gorgeous, it makes for a very rich and imaginative story.  It has this whimsical feeling that is absolutely wonderful, I love it!   Also, I’m compltely captivated by Karou, the book’s protagonist.

In addition, I’m getting caught up on some MSs I’ve been meaning to beta read (slowly but surely).

What I’m Writing

Book One of THE ALEX DE VEGA CHRONICLES.  I’m so happy to announce that I’ve reached 15,000 words.

I wrote over 3,000 within two/two 1/2 hours on Saturday alone then I was pooped for the entire weekend.  I have a friend staying with me for a few days so it’s not as easy to get writing in, but still, I’m quite enjoying writing Alex’s tale.  My goal is to just have fun and to finish it.  But those two goals work hand-in-hand for if I’m having fun I don’t have so much pressure to reach perfection therefore I’m more likely to finish it.  Plus, I’m a pantser anyway so it’s better and easier for me to write the first draft by letting my characters take me on the journey they so choose (the only outlining I’ve done was a useless 20 lines on notebook paper plus some helpful character background brainstorming).  My goal is to have a mini weekend retreat for myself aka locking myself in my room and writing for the most part with (HEALTHY snacks) The Vampire Diaries, Alias (Sydney Bristow and Alex could be cousins), and Orange Is the New Black for distractions research 😉

What Else I’ve Been Doing

Sleeping.  Relaxing with friends.  Watching TONS of TV.  Reading not enough books.  Oh, and work.  But I’m enjoying my summer. and I’m already looking forward to Winter Break when I can do more of this.  However I do think balance will be the key to me getting work done during the school-year and by work I mean non-academic work (because let’s face it, I’m not one of those study 5+ hours a day students).  However, balance.  I’m also working on eating healthier, always.  I fell into a snack food binge (curse you, Oreos & Twizzlers), but leafy greens shall prevail.  And apples.  And nuts…you get the idea.

I’m supposed to go to the Indian restuarant, Singh’s Cafe, in the town of Wellesley for lunch today with my co-workers so that should be fun 🙂

What Inspires Me Right Now

The ABSOLUTELYFREAKINAMAHZHING Karen Rock was able to take time from her busy schedule of conferences and book tours (her YA debut CAMP BOYFRIEND recently released from Spencer Hill Contemporary!!) to read my MS, HEIR OF ISIS.  I haven’t even responded to her email because I just don’t know what to say (meaning I’m just so grateful).  Just some of THE BEST notes I’ve ever gotten.  You know that feeling when you just know exactly what you need to do to fix something?  Yeah well that’s how I feel now.  Just bliss.

The crazy thing is normally I would stop everything and begin revisions on HEIR OF ISIS, because it’s my baby.  Well, maybe I should say used to be?  idk.  It’s more that I feel compltely satisfied with the work I’m doing on my WIP (mentioned in the first section).  For once, I don’t need to drop everything and go to my old story.  I’ve found a new story with characters I love just as much (if not better…sorry Aziza).  Now that doesn’t mean I’m not going back.  In fact my plan is to finish ALEX… by the end of the month (August, I mean) then put it aside then read a lot and watch a lot of TV (and study, I suppose) then begin revisions on HEIR OF ISIS when I have a clear section of free time so most likely all of Winter Break.  We’ll see how this plan goes but I’m excited and I feel confident in my abilities to “fix” everything.  And I know when these revisions are done Aziza is finally going to be the character I want her to be with the journey I want her to undertake.

Yep, I’m feeling good.  On to writing 🙂 Enjoy your day & don’t forget about the linky!

What’s something that’s inspiring you?

Whimsically Yours,

PnC

Written by Patrice

48 Comments

Alison Miller

That pic at the end is PERFECT. Also, sounds like you had an extremely productive week! Go you with those healthy snacks too – I go on way too many Twizzler kicks myself – need to quit that. 🙂

And how awesome that you received such wonderful feedback from someone you admire and respect. I wish you the best with your writing goals this week! And enjoy DOSAB – I do love Laini Taylor’s writing and LOVE Karou!

Patrice

Ha, Twizzler is a killer…must resist LOL. I’m a bit obsessed with inspirational quote pictures so when I found it I just knew I had to include it.

Thank you! I need to finish this book ASAP, I’m dying to know how it ends so I can go grab the next one 🙂

Have a great week!

J.K. Rock

I adore The Daughter of Smoke and Bone and I should have used Laini as someone I feel you are comparable with as a writer! Those flashes of humor interwoven with high octane action sequence and rich world-building and fascinating characters made it such a privilege to be your beta reader on Heir of Isis! I’m so glad you found some things that were useful and I can’t wait to see it get grabbed by a major publisher!!!

Patrice

Thanks Karen! I can’t believe you just compared my writing to Laini Taylor’s, now that is one of the best compliments I’ve received (made my Wednesday!). I’ll let you know how the revisions go when they get going, thanks so much for all your support 🙂

Patrice

Oh really, well that will make it and even more interesting read. I can’t wait to continue reading it this evening!

Stephanie Scott

I saw the Camp Boyfriend authors at RWA Nationals earlier this month–they did a great job marketing because I saw Camp Boyfriend t-shirts on conference attendees and it stuck in my mind. I’m glad you’ve been able to connect with them!

Patrice

Yeah, I actually intern for SHC as a publicity intern and they were the imprint’s launch title. The two are so creative, they had/have such great marketing ideas. It’s the perfect book for summertime, and I’m glad to have seen their book from its beginning stages until now.

kate scott

Good luck with all your writing and revisions. I LOVED summer camp when I was a kid, so I definitely need to read this Camp Boyfriend book. And how cool that the author did a critique for you.

Patrice

Thanks Kate! Yeah I actually connected with the author months ago (maybe longer) before the book was published. She kept giving me the most amazing advice and I was already in love with her book, I’m so glad she found the time in her busy schedule for the critique. The book is great, brings back so many wonderful memories of summer camp and summer crushes, I hope you’ll love it!

Jessie Harrell (@JessieHarrell)

sounds like you got some awesome revision notes – congrats and have fun with that!
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Daughter of Smoke and Bone and its sequel. Hope you find some more reading time so you can soak them up.

Patrice

Thanks! I will be making time to finish both books, it’s about time and I’ve been hearing such good things about the books that I’m dying to know how they end 🙂

Have a good week!

Jaime Morrow

I loved DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE so much! Laini Taylor’s writing is just gorgeous. I’ve been hearing good things about PREP SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL, so I’ll have to make sure I get my hands on a copy soon.

You’re making awesome progress on your WIP. 3000 words in 2-2.5 hours is pretty darn great. Good for you! I know what you mean about a story feeling right and not feeling the need to revisit older WIPs at all or not nearly as much. I’m kind of there too. (Mostly.)

Have a great week, Patrice! 🙂

Patrice

Everyone’s wonderful words about DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE have made me want to do nothing but finish it, alas I cannot. I’d been hearing so many good things about PREP SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL before I started reading that I thought it was out already (just came out today, I think).

Thanks Jaime! For now, I’m just happy working on this one 🙂 Have a great week to you too!

Kaitlin Bartlett

WOW, 3,000 words in 2 hours? You’re on fire! Writing days like that are the best, aren’t they? And congrats on the helpful feedback for your manuscript. I love when someone else can figure out exactly what my story needs, especially when I’m too close to the story to see it.

Have a great week!

Patrice

Thanks, Kaitlin! I can’t believe I wrote that much myself but allowing myself to have fun and just write did the trick. Like you said, I was wayyy to close to my story…I honestly don’t think i would’ve reached those exact conclusions she did for months, at least.

Have a great week too!

Colin

Well done on your WIP progress, Patrice! And how awesome to have published-author notes on your ms!! I like your approach, finishing one project then going back to the other. It’s very easy to get caught up in the excitement of revision, especially when you have good feedback. But there’s a lot to be said for taking breaks and coming back to the work with fresh and more critical eyes.

And I really like the quote in the picture. I’ll have to remember that. 🙂

Have a wonderful, productive writing week! 😀

Patrice

Hi Colin! Thanks 🙂 Karen’s words have been so helpful but like you said, it’s so easy to get caught up in revisions…I must take a break. Happy writing to you too!

Rebecca Barrow

3K in two hours is amazing! Isn’t it amazing what happens when we take the pressure off? I’ve heard so much good stuff about Orange Is The New Black–maybe when I finish this draft I can sit down and mainline it 🙂

Patrice

It is truly amazing, I never thought I could do it again…I wrote the MS I just got revisions back on almost completely like that for the first draft (I had no clue what I was doing but it was so fun). I hope you get time to watch the show, the actors are all so talented, such a strong cast!

laboyden

Congrats on hitting 15k. It’s good to write when you’re really in love with the story. Good luck with your “retreat”
P.S. I love Orange is the New Black

Patrice

Thank you! It’s such an amazing show, I’m quite madly in love with the entire cast 🙂

Have a great week!

Anonymous

I’m so glad you’re enjoying DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE! Laini Taylor’s writing is so beautiful and she hooked me in from that very first description of Karou walking through Prague. Congratulations on reaching 15000k in your WIP! That’s awesome! I love your idea of a mini retreat. I think I may have to do the same soon. And good for you for trying to eat healthier snacks. I really need to follow your example on that. Happy writing this week!

Patrice

At first I was afraid I wouldn’t like the book because I would be judging it harshly because of the high expectations I had from all the praise of it I heard then I was afraid I was only liking it because everyone else did. Now I’ve come to the realization that I like it because, well, it’s just amazing. Like you said, from the very first description you’re hooked — and the scenery is so real I feel like I’m there. And of course, I’m I HAVE to know what’s up with Karou, who is she…it’s just so great!

Thank you, I’m looking forward to my mini retreat. If you’re finding you just need to devote a couple days to just writing (and can make the time) it’s worth it.

Have a great week!

Alexa

Congratulations on hitting 15k. It’s great when you love your characters so much!

I absolutely love that quote. I need that on my wall 🙂

Patrice

Thank you! It’s a wonderful feeling 🙂 I was actually just thinking the same thing, I need to find me a wall version (or make one).

Rebecca B

I am in love with that sign; that might have to become my new writing motto.
I really enjoyed Daughter of Smoke and Bone–I haven’t gotten to the next book yet, but I look forward to it. Have a great week!

Patrice

Thank you & have a great week as well! It’s such a great motto to have, it helps me to keep everything in focus and keep trudging along 🙂

Kris F. Oliver

Congrats on hitting 15K! That’s fantastic!

And I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It has some really very unique elements in it that I absolutely loved. Hope you enjoy it and have an awesome week! 🙂

Patrice

Thank you! I’m loving it so far, it’s just such a rich world — so much so that it seems real. Have a great week!

Anonymous

I really want to read Prep School Confidential and I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone, hope you do too. Awesome job with your word count, and how fast you did it! So awesome you’re getting feedback from a fellow author, I’m sure you’ll get great critiques!

Patrice

Thanks! You should definitely read Prep School Confidential, I’m almost halfway through in and it’s getting really good 🙂

Have a good week!

Jennifer Pickrell

I have the worst eating habits – my dinner tonight, which included spinach and sweet potatoes, was followed up by a bunch of junk food. Why does junk have to taste so good???

I just added CAMP BOYFRIEND to my TBR-list last week – I <3 YA Contemp!

Patrice

Haha, I’m with you there. I did the same thing, great dinner then I went and ate popcorn with m&ms…need to let go LOL.

I hope you like the book, it’s nice reading a good YA contemp especially when the market is so saturated with Fantasy & Sci-Fi.

katyupperman

Yay for 15K! That’s got to feel pretty amazing. Best of luck adding even more words in the coming days.

I absolutely adore DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE, and I’m not even much of a fantasy reader. Laini Taylor writes so beautifully. DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT is equally awesome, in case you’re wondering. 🙂

Stina Lindenblatt

I started Smoke and Bones but I wasn’t in the mood for fantasy and was craving something else. What I read (a chapter maybe) was good, and I do plan to go back to it at some point.

Does anyone really study five hours a day??? I’m guessing it you don’t work while in college and you don’t have all science course with labs and tutorials, then it would be possible.

Sounds like you’re having a great summer, Patrice. 😀

Patrice

I get that, I’ve done the same many times but it’s proving to be a great read so you should definitely go back 🙂

Haha, I don’t know…like you said I work, I’m involved with organizations, then there’s writing and classes there’s no way I have time to study five hours a day and I’m perfectly fine with that.

I hope you’re enjoying your summer as well, thanks for stopping by!

Medeia Sharif

Happy writing and that’s excellent wordage.

I’ve been meaning to read Laini Taylor, but haven’t had a chance to. I have one or two of her books.