Hello Readers 🙂  Welcome to this week’s What’s Up Wednesday post!  As a side note before we dive in, you might have noticed my domains have changed…it’s all good, I forgot to renew them…I’m on it.

What I’m Reading

Proxy (Proxy, #1) Nothing, really.  I just finished reading Proxy by Alex London.  You can read my ravings about it in my book review (I loved it).

Now I’m just sitting.  I’m on a TV watching spree.   It’s something I don’t allow myself to do enough.  Maybe I should’ve retitled this section ‘What I’m Watching’ which would be Alias & Vampire Diaries, starting from season one.  Yes I’m hooked & no, I don’t know what VD “Team” I’m on (they’re both starting to get on my nerves, especially Elena).  I think my next shows will be Supernatural…I’m trying to get caught up on TV people keep recommending I watch so if you have any let me know!

What I’m Writing

Um…nothing.  I’m just taking a break.  I’m at home for a week(ish), and it’s nice to be home.  However I have a feeling this is about to change (the not writing bit) as my story is starting to really bug me to write it.  So look back next week for what I’m sure will be a stellar update.

What Else I’ve Been Doing

Bumming LOL.  No, I’ve just been taking time to enjoy the world.  I’ve realized writing has been taking up my life.  And as a writer I/we get our inspirations from life & cooping yourself in a room 24/7 is not living.  So yes, I’m doing better.  Today’s my little sister’s birthday.  I’m home (TEXAS!!!), there’s this thing called A/C around here, and I’m still in my PJs.  It’s nice.  I need to get out of them though because we’re going to SIX FLAGS (amusement park)!!  I haven’t been there in 2 years I think which is odd because I used to go there at least every summer. Hopefully my stomach is still as strong as ever…

Oh…I almost forgot.  Some super cool things are happening in my life, in regard to writing and books and everything.  The wonderful Raven Ashley & I after many conversations via email, twitter, you name it are launching what is tentatively called Operation Diversity.  It’s going to be a blog whose focus will be to highlight and celebrate diversity in MG, YA & NA. The blog will be run by a group of bloggers who will take turns posting throughout the week on topics such as debunking stereotypes, interviews with authors and other industry professionals, book reviews, and Q&As.  We’ll also be talking about our writing journey(s).

We are seeking bloggers age 16- 25 to be a part of this blog.  I should state this is because we thought it’d be cool to have people our age blogging, sharing their writing experiences etc…about the books whose target audience (minus MG) are people our age.  We are especially looking for people from a wide variety of backgrounds so that we, as the bloggers, will be able to speak from our own experiences. Not all bloggers must be writers.

If you know of anyone who might be interested (or if you are) feel free to tell them to contact us at OperationDiversity(at)gmail (dot) com (with appropriate symbols instead of words).  Full details to come Saturday!

What Inspires Me Right Now

Family & myself.  I was stuck in the airport for hours yesterday because of a delayed flight (still a bit mad…don’t even want to talk about).  It gave me the opportunity to reflect on a lot of things.  That reflection led me to writing a letter to my future self at the time I get my first book deal/book is published.  When I get it, I plan on writing a letter to my younger self.  In the letter I talked a lot about the progress I’ve made and how amazing I am.  We’re often too hard on ourselves and it needs to stop.   So from this point on I’m promising myself to focus on my writing & living the life I want to live with the people I want to live it with.  Nothing is promised so I might as well enjoy the journey.

What’s going on in your life?  Also if anyone is reading anything particularly interesting please post the title below.  I need a book I can fall in love with as much as I did with Proxy.

Whimsically Yours,

PnC

Written by Patrice

22 Comments

Patrice

Things have quite a way of interrupting you just when you’re about to start writing. Good luck with everything!

Patrice

LOL. You’re right about that though. I just added this to the post but the reason is we wanted to focus on having people our age who are writing these books whose target audience is people our age. If that makes sense. We’d thought it be an interesting way to inspire (for lack of a better word) our and future generations.

Catherine Stine

Hi, wow, Operation Diversity sounds great!
The Proxy cover art is effectively tense and thriller-esque.
I’m headed to a weeklong writers’ retreat on Friday–yay!!! So right now I’m just getting ready and packing. Next week I’ll be writing.

Patrice

Thanks! I love the cover art…it’s so cool.

Have fun at the retreat, looking forward to hearing about it!

Emma

I sat down and watched Supernatural properly, season 1 to 8, earlier in the year. I loved it. I will just say though, the first season didn’t grip, but once the show developed a mythology and each season had its own theme, I fell in love with it and the relationship the brothers have. Almost all the characters in The Vampire Diaries annoy me at this point. 🙂 I’ve heard great things about the TV show, Scandal, but it hasn’t aired over here in Ireland yet.
Hope you had a ball at Six Flags. Good luck with Operation Diversity.

Patrice

Thanks for the warning…I’ll be sure to push past the 1st. As for Scandal it’s amazing! That’s too bad it hasn’t aired in Ireland yet, I didn’t realize it took that long. I loved the first season, second not so much because for me it started getting predictable.

Jessica Silverstein

If you’re in Texas, I have to imagine you have either seen all of Friday Night Lights or decided that you’re sick to death of hearing about it, but I was just reading about how Jaime is back into it so it’s on my mind.

Good luck getting back into the swing of writing!

Patrice

No I haven’t seen it, I grew up around the obsession with football (like you said, it’s Texas lol). I loved the sport & going to games etc…& miss it now that my college doesn’t have a team or a huge sports culture but yeah, I’m not from a small town but I’ve seen it in real life so never had an interest in watching the show. I’ve heard a lot of great things about it though so I should check it out.

Good luck with your writing goals as well!

Kate Scott

I firmly believe, you can’t write anything worth reading if you aren’t also living. So I fully support your new embrace of the non-writing life. When you do start writing again, it will be better.

Alison Miller

OH! Have fun at Six Flags! I am a rollercoaster junkie! It’s been forever since I’ve been to a Six Flags though. And I have to second Jessica’s recommendation for FNL. I’m about to dive into an FNL marathon myself. That, and LOST.

I hope you have a wonderful relaxing week!

Patrice

Thanks Alison, it was a fun time! Okay then I’ll have to watch it then, I do love me some football. LOST is a great show, it got confusing but I liked the puzzles it posed. I hope you have a wonderful & relaxing week as well!

Adrianne

Your new blog sounds really cool! I’m struggling to get words in this week too, coming off a post-vacation lull.

Patrice

Thanks 🙂 And it’s hard getting back at it, especially after a vacation…I’m sure you’ll get it though!

Mariah Klein

I love your Operation Diversity idea. Have you considered including special needs? Like Percy Jackson’s dyslexia in the Rick Riordan series, or Chloe’s stutter in the Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong. Nothing that ever gets overcome, just another aspect that makes the character who they are. Looking forward to reading what you all come up with!

Patrice

Hi Mariah, Thanks! Definitely, the blog will include all types of diversity. I’m a huge fan of Rick Riordan especially Percy Jackson series & I love the way he used that partially as an allusion for his son with dyslexia. I haven’t read Darkest Powers, keep hearing such great things about it though so thank you for the recommendation…I’ll add it to the list!

Rae

Every once in a while I have to remind myself that I can’t just be a hermit, as great as that would be for my word counts and general writing time. But it seems like I’ve barely learned to take time to breathe before I need that lesson to come around again.
And while I’m here, I’m going to put in a shout-out to Supernatural. LOVE IT. It has all the feels. Funny, heartbreaking, and with some amazingly well-written characters. Aaannnnddd…the leads are pretty nice to look at, too. 😉
I hope your week goes well, and that you get to balance your writing/other life time. Good luck!

Patrice

Thanks Rae, I think it’s definitely something good to be constantly reminded of. I’m definitely going to be watching supernatural, nothing but great comments from everyone about that show…cute, bad guy fighting brothers = perfection 😉 Good luck to you with your writing/life goals!