Hello Everyone 🙂  This year I’m participating in Gearing Up to Get an Agent (GUTGAA), and the first day is today.  So here is a little about me & my answers to the Meet & Greet Questions.

Hi! I’m Patrice!

I’m a nineteen year old college student in the Boston area studying English with a Creative Writing concentration and Sociology, and I hail from Texas!!!

I love reading, writing, fashion, baking, and traveling.  And this summer I finished my first manuscript, a YA Contemporary Fantasy titled BLOOD OF ISIS (this is the one for GUTGAA).  I also am a self-declared mythology, paranormal, and history buff they are passions that I’ve had since I was a little girl.  If you want to read an excerpt from BLOOD OF ISIS. check out my MG WIPs, or learn more about me visit my writer site patricecaldwell.com.  Also feel free to connect with me via Twitter!

-Where do you write?

I write anywhere, usually not anywhere that’s loud but I especially like writing on my bed or desk.

-Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left.  What is the first thing you see?

My stuffed animals, I love them, currently (since I’m at college)  I have my purple Caterpuller (it’s really a “centipede” (with only eight legs), and my baby sister’s ty brown & purple monkey, Coconut (I borrowed it)!!!  On my bed at home they would be to my left as well.

-Favorite time to write?

Early morning, 4-8am.  I love waking up early and writing when it’s still dark or barely light outside and it’s almost completely silent.

-Drink of choice while writing?

Water – I get so thirsty when writing or green tea, I’m in love with green tea.

-When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?

I HAVE to have complete silence, little noises are fine but music is a total distraction because I always want to sing or dance along.

-What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?

My latest manuscript – CONFESSIONS OF A PRE-TEEN WITCH (MG Contemporary Fantasy), was inspired by me almost walking (opening the door to) into the men’s restroom and remembering that I hadn’t done that since third grade.  I then tweeted about it, and one of my followers replied about how everything is a story idea.  I thought for a while on it and was like “I’d like to write an MG about a witch”, but I knew the restroom incident had to fit in somewhere.

On my way home for work, when coming to a red light, I had my aha moment:  I decided my MC, Gwyn, is a pre-teen witch and in third grade because she was so stressed about her upcoming witch exam she walked into the boy’s restroom just as the bell rang, leading to the whole grade seeing her…anyway that’s the backstory.

The book opens with her in the seventh grade, you’ll have to read the excerpt on my site to learn more 🙂

-What’s your most valuable writing tip?

Just do it.  Stop talking about how you’re an aspiring writer or whatever and just write.  Hands down the best writing tip ever and since I’m more of a panser it’s how I get everything done.

Only problem is it’s often easier for me to give or receive that tip than to actually follow it.  I often have to force myself to wake up and write or else I would never have time for it in my day.

Extra Question (of my own creation): If you were to write a memoir what would be its title?  For me it would be The Whimsical life of an Aquarius.   Thanks for stopping by!

Whimsically Yours,
PnC

Written by Patrice

23 Comments

Patrice

Nice to meet you as well, and thanks for stopping by. I’m glad you like the title, titles for me are one of the first things, very crucial to my writing process.

Jess Schira

I found you on the GUTGAA list. The title of your blog caught my eye, it’s not all that different from mine. I love the idea you have for your novel. It’s intriquing. I’m sure that it makes a wonderful story. Good luck balancing college and writing.

Hi Jess,

Thanks, I’m in love with the story even if at time I think it sucks. The balance is quite a challenge but I’m managing. My blog actually used to be called The Whimsical Life of an Aquarius so now the titles aren’t very different at all, I’m off to check yours out 🙂

stephscottil

“Just do it,” — SO TRUE! I’d said for years I wanted to write a book but I had no idea how or about what. I had a few false starts but then I dove in with NaNoWriMo and started reading a zillion blogs. I love how supportive the writing community is.

My favorite part of these GUTGAA posts is what inspired current stories. Drawing from your own life is such a good idea because chances are other people have experienced something similar and can relate. Walking into a mens room as a kid — horrifying!

Here’s my GUTGAA Meet & Greet: A Girl and Her Diary

Patrice

Yeah, it’s a great tip–I was going to do NaNoWriMo last year but I didn’t now I’m doing it for sure this year (for the first time) and I’m so excited!

Haha it was definitely a moment to never forget, I love hearing how stories came to be as well.

Thanks for stopping by, I’m off to check out your post 🙂

Patrice

Haha I try to get up that early every day unfortunately most times I only end up waking up at 5-6. I do get a lot of writing done though.

Thanks for stopping by!

LisaAnn

Hi Patrice! My name is Lisa Ann, and I’m one of the first-round GUTGAA judges. Your witch project sounds so adorable, and best of luck to you! I can’t wait to read everyone’s submissions!

Patrice

Hi Lisa Ann, thats so great that your a judge it sounds like a great opportunity. I love my witch project, it’s very light and fun!

Thanks for stopping by,

Paula

Hi Patrice,
Nice to meet you, I thought I like writing in the mornings, but you’re taking it to another level.
What would be the title of my memoirs?? let me think about that and get back to you. Hope you’re enjoying GUTGAA!

Patrice

Haha, I try. I feel that I often don’t sleep very long/am restless so I might as well get up and do something productive. Take your time thinking about it, I am loving GUTGAA, I hope you are as well!

Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Patrice

Haha, yeah…you should try it sometimes, the key is making sure I go to sleep early enough the night before (doesn’t always happen). Nice to meet you!

Janeal Falor

That’s my problem. I can’t ever make myself go to bed. I’ve tried before and I’ll get a couple nights in a row, but then I’m right back to staying up late. And thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂

Patrice

I understand that, it’s 2:23AM now…I probably won’t be waking up early. So I’ll have to get things done in the afternoon.

Your welcome!